I like to travel,

and now that I've graduated from college and have a full-time job, I finally have the time and the finances (sometimes) to quench my wanderlust. since I can't take you all with me (though I wish I could), I decided to keep you updated on my whereabouts via the blogosphere.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

>>> mini update?

Greetings from the middle of the Mediterranean Sea! I'm sitting in the internet cafe on the ship, en route to Venice (our last stop), and about 100 feet away from me are a hundred people doing a conga line arond a champagne waterfall/fountain thing to the on-ship band playing "Let's Groove". Life is funny that way.

I don't remember where my last post left us at. Istanbul? At sea? Let me check.

...

Okay, now I got it. Istanbul was pretty cool except I was in a terrible mood that day. Got very little sleep and things at home were keeping my mind rancid. Luckily, I've got plenty of people around me to get my spirits up and keep em that way. I've been pretty successful since then to keep myself in a good mood and not thinking about stupid stuff that I'll just deal with in about 8 days.

Back to the topic at hand: travels! Istanbul was tight, but I think I liked Kusadasi (also in Turkey) a little better. We spent most of the day looking for a present for Liz's best friend and we were in luck because she found a beautiful turquoise pendant and a box made of cowbone to go with it. Then I finally laid out on the boat for a couple of hours and read some Vonnegut and got my back all dark. ;)

Athens and the Acropolis were quite the experience. We walked about half a mile to a train station, took the train to Thissio, and then saw the huge climb it would take to get up to the Parthenon. I wasn't too hyped for that because it was 95 degrees out and dusty as hell, but then we found this tourist train thingie that took us almost to the top. We still had to walk up those last 87 marble steps to get to the top. Marble is slippery as @$%#$^, by the way. Us "kids" took some fun pictures at the top, then I ate the best Greek food ever, and then we headed back to the ship.

Today was our last "at sea" day and our last formal night. I spent most of the day sleeping because we stayed up til about 4am last night. The time spent not sleeping was spent eating and/or getting ready for formal night. I didn't realize how dark I've gotten on this trip until I put my dress on (which is mostly white). I don't think people will recognize me when I get home. :)

Tomorrow we pull in to Venice, and then we stay there for a day and a night and disembark Tuesday morning. From there, we will say goodbye to the Magnos and Jamoras (*tear*) and head off to Rome and Florence, and then to London, and then FINALLY I will be home.

My brothers and I have discussed what we will be doing as soon as we get home in about 8 days. We're going to hop into my car, go to Albertson's, and buy Tony's pizzas and Coke and Gatorade and just lie around the house. Sounds like a plan, right?

Unfortunately, my laptop is still dead and so I can't upload pictures until I get home. But you better believe it will be done the moment I get there!

Wish you were here, really I do.

<3

1 comment:

Sheree said...

that is such a bummer about your laptop. :( super sad that we can't see pictures but i'll be excited to see them (my kids too) when you post them.

THANK THANK THANK YOUOUOUOUOUOU! for the post cards they make my kids' days to know that you sent them from far far away. there's enough for each of them (including madi) so thanks for sending them we appreciate it sooooo much.